Govt to Wrap up Trial Use of B40 by the End of This Year
JAKARTA—Research Center at the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources is carrying out a trial use of biodiesel 40% or B40 as a follow-up to the successful implementation of B30 fuel.
Currently, the research agency is conducting a 1,000 hours endurance engine bench test using two models of B40 at Lemigas, a research center for oil and gas technology development under the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources.
The first model of B30 is a blend of 60% diesel fuel with 40% Fatty Acid Methyl Esther (FAME). The other one is a blend of 60% diesel fuel with 30% FAME and 10% Distillated Fatty Acid Methyl Esther (DPME).
Head of Research and Development Agency of Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources (MEMR) Dadan Kusdiana said that the trial was expected to be completed by the end of 2020. Due to COVID-19 pandemic, the test was not carried out in ordinary way.
"It will be completed by the end of the year, we’ll possibly start complete analysis in November. We’re considering the situation to carry out a road test,” Dadan said as quoted by the Ministry Website, Thursday (27/8/2020).
Earlier, the research agency has completed a physical-chemical characteristics test of B40 fuel formulations and the limited performance test of B40 fuel formulations. An evaluation of the physical-chemical characteristics of B40 fuel formulations has also been conducted. The tests have resulted two model of formulation to be further tested in 1,000-hour endurance test and a lubricant sample test.
As soon as the 1,000-hour endurance test is completed, B40 review team will carry out a preparation and implementation of precipitation and storage stability tests. After that, the team will immediately evaluate, report, and prepare recommendations about the results of this trial use of B40 fuel. ***