Road Test Completed, Govt Issues Technical Recommendation on B30
Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources (MEMR) has completed a five-month road test on use of biodiesel with a bio-content of 30% (B30) in diesel-powered vehicles which has been carried out since 13 June 2019.
JAKARTA— Research and Development Agency of Energy and Mineral Resources at the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources (MEMR) has completed a five-month road test on use of biodiesel with a bio-content of 30% (B30) in diesel-powered vehicles which has been carried out since 13 June 2019.
Based on the test result, MEMR released technical recommendation on use of B30. “We have released technical recommendation on use of B30 based on the test result. In conclusion, B30 is ready to run on diesel-fueled vehicles on 1 Januaty 2020,” Head of Research and Development Agency of Energy and Mineral Resources at MEMR Dadan Kusdiana said on press release, Thursday (28/11/2019).
Dadan said that the mandatory use of B30 program will be implemented in 2020, as stated on Regulation of MEMR Minister Number 12 of 2015. “The recommendation includes information on treatment, storage, and specification of the fuel.” Following are points of the technical recommendation: a. B30 Handling and Blending
- In order to maintain quality of B30, blending process, storage, and distribution should be treated well and gradually monitored, as it did in B30 Road Test.
- In order to generate homogeneous blend of B30, the blending method should follow procedure and use standard facilities.
- To prevent increase of water content, B100 should be stored in insulated tank, should not be exposed to air and should be mix immediately.
b. Recommendation on fuel specification
- Recommendation on fuel specification for B100, maximum monoglycerides content is 0.55%-mass and water content 350 ppm. Use of B100 disregarding this recommendation should conduct further test.
- Sole Agent Brand Holder (also knows as ATPMs) are expected to inform user about the need to change filter early for new cars or cars never run on blended biodiesel.
Speaking on behalf of Minister of Energy and Mineral Resources Arifin Tasrif, Dadan expressed deep gratitude for all the support on the B30 Road Test. “As the test has been completed, I express my deep gratitude to all parties who have supported us to carry out the test,” Dadan said.
The road test was organized by Research and Development Agency of Energy and Mineral Resources at the MEMR and funded by BPDPKS in collaboration with PT Pertamina (Persero) and Indonesian Biofuel Producers Association (Aprobi) that provided fuels as well as with the Association of Indonesia Automotive Industries (Gaikindo) that provided vehicles.
The operational team of the test were as follows: Research and Development Center for Oil and Gas Technology (Lemigas); Centre for Fuels Technology and Engineering (BTBRD) and Center for Thermodynamics Engines and Propulsion at the Agency for the Assessment and Application of Technology (BPPT); Center for Research and Development of Electricity, New, Renewable Energy and Energy Conservation Technology at MEMR (P3tek KEBTKE). ***